Friday, December 24, 2010

Quilts for Christmas

I heard from the recipients of these quilts that they were opened yesterday - to provide warmth during this wintry cold - so now I can blog about them. These are the two quilts I've been working on recently. Thankfully I was able to finish them in time for Christmas. This quilt is for one of my sons. The other one is for his wife. And just so you know, Josh . . . I did finish yours first, before I finished Sam's quilt! He saw this quilt top and made a comment once that given all the time I've had to make quilts during the time the boys were growing up, it wouldn't be fair to make one to give to Samantha before I made one for him. So, there you have it. I'm a terrible mother! (Just kidding! If you know me, and could see me, you'd see I'm laughing as I say this!) I've been sewing on quilt tops all these many years. And finally after all these many years I get some finished - after the kids have grown up and left home! How horrible I've been. And yes, I have one waiting in the wings for my other son. One that was intended to be for a high school graduation gift, but it never got finished. My goal is to get that one done before the new year. But that's another story for another day. Here's the rest of this story . . .

Here's another view of the front of Josh's quilt. I laid them across our bed to get the photo. There's not too many places in our house to lay out something this large. Josh's quilt measures approximately 81" square. I'll have to think of something else to photograph the quilts I work on. Those quilts shown in magazines seem to be so nicely and artfully displayed. Yes, I realize they are made that way by "professionals", but I should be able to do that! But I was trying to hurry to get them done and wrapped. Will have to attempt better quality photos and proper lighting when I photograph future quilts. If I keep working on my stack of quilt tops I should be a professional at it too, by the time I finish them all.

Flip it over, and here's what the reverse side looks like. I wanted them to be reversible. And these five inch charm squares were cut out already and waiting in my stash. Another of my goals with these, and future quilt projects, is to get busy using up stuff in my stash . . . so I can buy more! Just kidding really. I've got such a large collection of fabric it only makes sense to use it up. I figure with all the quilt tops I've got there in my Sewing Studio I can go through a large chunk of my stash just finishing them all up.

And another view of the back from a slightly different angle. I like the way it turned out. I look at the front and really like the color combinations of those 2 1/2" strips. Then when I flip it over, I think maybe this side is the best side. Actually, I like both sides. Depends on if you want to see more brighter colors, or the darker subtle shades of a more woodsy nature look. I guess you do see all the bright colors in nature, too. Often have the brights in the colors of flowers and even some of the colors of animals such as birds and such. Don't you just love color!?!

Here we go - all folded up and ready to wrap up in Christmas paper.

This one is Sam's quilt. One time she came over to our house and looked through some of my quilting books. She flagged the pattern of this quilt, and a few others, with sticky notes indicating the ones she liked best. When I saw her choices I selected this one as a great pattern to sew. Later on I ran into a conundrum. She was going to come over because we talked about sewing together and again she looked through the book and navigated right to the page with this quilt pattern. Problem was, about a week or two prior to this I had shown this quilt top, which I was working on, to Josh. But I told him not to say anything to Sam about having made it. At the time, I wanted to double check with him that he thought she would like the colors of the fabrics I put into it. The fabrics were based loosely on the colors Sam said she liked, and had selected for their wedding. Having asked a number of times if Sam might ever want to sew with me, and being told she doesn't really sew (she enjoys scrap booking a lot), I one day got a positive response. Sam and Josh were going to come over for a visit. She would sew with me and Josh would hang out with his dad. So we head downstairs to sew and right off Sam picks this pattern from the book again to work on that afternoon. Well . . . what to do? Tell her she cannot sew that one? Tell her I already made that one for her? Just let her go ahead and sew it and then she winds up getting two quilts the same in the end? Give the one I made to someone else? or keep it myself? Hmmm . . . what would you do? I told her to wait, just a minute, and went to get the quilt top. Come clean, that's my motto . . . just can't keep it a secret. I told her I already did that quilt for her, she could go ahead and sew one herself if she wanted, but let me show what I already did. She said she liked the quilt top I made and we worked on something else that day.

And a closer look at this quilt - and the quilting of it. This stitching is called stippling. It's fairly closely stitched loops, swirls and random jig-saw puzzle like shapes. Sam's quilt measures approximately 74"x86" in size.

Here's another view of it from the back. I was being kind of a slow poke about getting the quilts done . . . huh? what? me? no way! LOL! me slow? I had already told my friend Deb during our sewing and quilting sessions that I was planning to finish up these quilts as gifts this year. Then Josh and Sam dropped big hints, "We want our quilts for Christmas." Now, wait a minute . . . you'll ruin the surprise! Ha, ha! I don't think it was really that much a big secret in the end.

I saw a quilt in one of my recent quilt magazines that showed this pattern for a quilt. I thought it would make the perfect back for Sam's quilt. That pattern was somewhat the inspiration for the back of Josh's quilt, but I decided to use the charm squares I had on hand because the colors were right rather than cutting the 13 1/2" random width fabric strips. I liked the idea of filling up along the sides with the larger fabric yardage. It made the backs go together much more quickly.

And here's the quilt all folded up waiting to be wrapped. Sam actually saw her quilt before I got it wrapped. Yep, I was a slow-poke and still hand stitching the binding in place when she came over to pick up their packages to take home to Josh. Sorry, I had to make her wait and get the packages the next day. So they were late - long, long hours working on them - but they made it in time for Christmas.

Next up on the agenda . . . finish up Ben's quilt and get that mailed off to him. Then I have some other recipients in mind for quilts I want to get done. That's right . . . quilting is going to continue on for some time. Check back occasionally for progress updates! Ha, ha, but don't hold your breath . . . you already know I'm a slow-poke . . . a slow-poke with a plan . . . am I describing a turtle quilter? Hmmm . . . it brings forth ideas for a drawing, but then I distract myself. LOL! Focus now, focus . . . work on quilts . . . forget about drawing and other artistic distractions! Forget about all those other things in life that are fun! Quilting is fun! Ha, ha, ha!

6 comments:

  1. Thanks again for the beautiful quilts! My great grandmother used to make us quilts when we were little and since she had her stroke a few years ago, she can't make them anymore. That's why quilts are so special to me...a lot of love goes into making them...not only do they warm up our bodies but our hearts as well! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both quilts are beautiful, great job. Feels good to finish up a project doesn't it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi I'm Bonnie (Pink Stitches from swapbot)! Love these quilts! So much eye candy :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, nice job! I wish I could make then this way. I've been checking the other site and I love it. Following you now from SB.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your quilts are BEAUTIFUL! Awesome job!

    I'm loving your blog as I love crafting, too! This is "loolie" from SB - following your blog now from Blog Followers #2 swap! I'm also going to post a link to your blog from my blog so hopefully some of my readers will stop by here, too! :)

    Have a great day and nice meeting you!

    Lauren
    http://lostmittenblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing quilts! they are both very blessed.
    unvlmom from swap-bot following and linked to my blog. http://unvlmom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your comments and ideas. Please leave a comment below.