Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Tumbler Quilt Top Done

It's already getting pretty late. It's that time of day when today turns into tomorrow. I'm about ready to head off to bed, but thought I'd share with you what I worked on today.

The blocks for this Tumbler quilt were cut on my 'Go' fabric cutter.Ta-Da! It's the first tumbler quilt top I've completed - made with blocks cut on my 'Go' fabric cutter. These were all scraps of fabric from my stash - actually a huge box of scraps I wrote about last fall. It feels good to have another top completed and ready to quilt. This quilt is small - just a tish over four foot - not quite square, but close. When I randomly cut all those tumbler blocks I was just cutting with no pre-conceived notion of what the quilts would look like in the end. The idea was to just try to work my way through some of the odd-ball scraps and reduce the size of my fabric collection. These fabrics were the odds and ends from an eclectic group of left-overs.

I wanted the quilt to look very random and scrappy. I didn't pre-arrange the blocks ahead of time, but just randomly pulled them from piles to sew them together. The fact that some prints link up with others of the same color is part of the unplanned effect I was going for. I'm considering the idea of doing some sort of applique design on it. Not sure what, yet. I thought the scrappy look would make a good background for some vining leaves. The colors along with the duck and deer prints seem to denote this as a guy's quilt. I don't really want to applique flowers or anything too feminine. What do you think about a leafy-vine sort of thing running near the perimeter. Would that enhance it? Or detract from it?

At this point I'm not sure what I'll do with this quilt. It's a bit small for a lap quilt. Maybe a table topper or just to hang on the wall? I could add a few more borders to enlarge it a bit for a lap quilt. Hmmm - decisions, decisions. Oh well, as Scarlet O'Hara is known to say, "Fiddle dee dee. I can't think about it now. If I do I'll go crazy. I'll think about it tomorrow."

Nitey-nite. More tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your comments and ideas. Please leave a comment below.