Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Studio Floor Plan

I like to store my larger cuts of fabric wrapped on boards like this to keep it neat and organized.My sewing friend came over to my house to sew with me today. She had an opportunity to see the new arrangement of my sewing studio. We are both in agreement that the space seems more confining now even though one piece of furniture has been removed and all the 'stuff' has not even been moved back into the room. Obviously I need to 'go back to the drawing board' and rethink this current arrangement.

I made up a floor plan of the room on gridded paper so everything is to scale. I also have all the furniture and shelves drawn out to scale on paper so I can move furniture and change the layout the easy way before I expend all my muscle energy to do it in reality. I bet somebody's got a software program somewhere that lets you do that kind of thing on the computer in virtual world, too. This current arrangement looked promising on paper, but didn't hold up so well in real life. How disappointing.

We did manage to get some sewing done together. And lots of chatting to go along with that. It makes for a nice day to combine those two things together. Today I was busy sewing together some quilt blocks for another quilt. This will be another quilt top to add to my collection of completed tops ready to do the quilting on my Pfaff Grand Quilter quilting frame. I'll have to do some digging through my bins of supplies and check out how many quilt batts I have on hand. Some time ago I had bought up a number of them to stock up when they were on sale. I don't remember how many I have. At the rate I'm going I might be getting to the point where I have more finished quilt tops than quilt batts. I'm curious just how many I can get completely finished before the end of the year.

The image leading off my post today is a photo of the way I have some of my fabric stored on my shelves. The first board shown with the curved corners is from a set of fabric storage boards I purchased. The others I cut from foam core board. I can cut four pieces this size from the foam core. If you are looking for a way to organize your fabric or store it in such a way that it stays neat and orderly this is one way you could do it.

I usually use these boards for any lengths of fabric that are purchsed in lengths of 2 yards or more. It is easier to handle when you want to use the fabric. You only need to unroll the amount you want and cut it with your rotary cutter. It's like a mini bolt of fabric. They are easy to store vertically on a shelf. That makes them easier to access than fabric that is in piles. I hate it when I work so hard to neatly fold my fabric then when you want to pull out a piece of fabric from the middle or the bottom of the pile they all get messed up. Folded fabric can sometimes be hard to get back into the piles if you like to keep them in color order or with a grouping of like fabric.

I purchased about a dozen more foam core boards that need to be cut down to size. As I work on getting my studio back into a good, satisfactory working condition again I want to do a bit more organizing of my fabrics. If you are like me, you can always find something else to organize a bit better. My studio is a work in progress. It probably always will be as I work through my current stash and make changes in streamlining the way I work. I like to see how other people decorate and organize their studios. I sometimes pick up good ideas that others have found inventive ways to do things. What are some of your favorite studio organizing tips?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your comments and ideas. Please leave a comment below.