Friday, October 23, 2009

Sewing With a Friend and Other Stuff

I collected together all my reproduction thrities fabrics for another quilt idea with this pattern from Moda.My sewing friend and I got together for awhile today. It was fun to sit around and chat while we spent the day sewing. We started off with an early lunch of Happy Joe's Pizza then on to her home to get started sewing. We recently talked about doing the same project together. I brought up the fact that I have accumulated so many of those old-fashioned 30's prints and wanted to make something from those. This past week I happened upon the perfect pattern to make use of them. I like this Moda pattern that looks like taffy candy wrapped up in colorful 30's wrappers. We decided we would both work together on making this quilt after we've finished all our Christmas/Holiday sewing and current projects.

Also pictured here are some blocks I'm working on for a second quilt similar to the leaf quilt. The leaf quilt by the way is still all laid out across the beds downstairs in our soon-to-be painted guestroom. They're patiently waiting for me to join the blocks together to form the quilt top. Yeah, I know, I'm slow to get that done. Feeling under the weather lately has made me not care to accomplish too much other than lounge around. I'm slowly getting back into the swing of things again.

I've been lighting these candles lately for a lovely scent throughout the house. The last several days while I've been working on the computer I've been burning these lovely scented candles I picked up on sale at Pier One Imports this summer. They smell so nice. I love candles. The little squirrel was a quick pick at Hobby Lobby earlier this fall. It reminds me of the baby squirrels we had running around the yard all summer long. Those babies have grown big and fat now. I see them quite often in both the front and the back yards.


MaryJane's Farm magazine had a shawl pattern in their Oct-Nov 2009 issue along with two more versions via their website.I've been getting MaryJane's Farm magazine for awhile now. The recent Oct-Nov 2009 issue had a button up knitted shawl project shown on page 78. There are two more variations of the pattern available on-line at her website. When I was at JoAnn's Fabric last week I decided to pick up some knitting needles to make the shawl. I wanted to search through my stash to see what I have on hand for yarns before I purchase new. They've got their yarn on sale through the rest on the month. It has been awhile since I knitted anything. As I recall, the last thing I was making was an afghan when the boys were still in high school. I cannot remember if I gave away the remainder of my yarn. I think it might just be stashed down in my sewing studio amongst all the rest of my stash. I'll look around tomorrow to see what's left. I used to enjoy sitting on my chair in the livingroom watching TV in the evenings with my hubby while I knit something. This pattern seems so easy.

Ginger got all tuckered out pheasant hunting today.Today my hubby took our hunting dog, Ginger, out to see if they could get any pheasants. They saw some. He said Ginger did her job in flushing them out. But apparently he didn't hit the ones he was aiming at. Ginger was so tuckered out from walking/hunting for a couple hours. She just wanted to lay down on her bed all evening. Hubby gave her a baby tylenol for her aches and pains. Poor thing.

We ate Parmesan Chicken for supper tonight instead of pheasant. Again, that's another thing I haven't made for a long time. Yum, we love Parmesan Chicken. Basically it's a simple pan-fried chicken dish with Parmesan cheese mixed in the milk (or buttermilk if you have it). Soak the chicken in the milk mixture. Enzymes in the milk will tenderize the chicken. While it's soaking you can crush some crackers (I use Ritz Crackers - about 1/2 to 3/4 of one sleeve) and mix together with some flour, black pepper, onion powder, garlic powder. I also like to add a bit of ground red pepper for a bit of zing to it. Then just heat up a bit of oil in a large fry pan, dredge the soaked chicken in the crushed cracker/flour/spices mixture and place in the hot oil. Allow the chicken to cook in the oil till nicely browned on one side then carefully flip with a spatula and brown the other side. I only flip them once. Too much handling and the breading will come loose. Yum! I'd give you actual measurements for all the ingredients, but I'd have to look for my recipe. I just tossed in a bit of this and that when I made it tonight. This is an old recipe I've made off and on for the last twenty years while the kids were growing up. Let me know if you need more specifics. I'll search my old recipes if someone needs it - leave me a comment then I'll see if I can locate it.

So, essentially it was a very good day. Lot's of sewing, visiting, good company, good food. What more can you ask for? It was a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your comments and ideas. Please leave a comment below.