Monday, October 12, 2009

Another Style Embroidered Leaf

I went to the "Bash" on Saturday. The Anita Goodesign Embroidery Bash put on by J&R Vacuum and Sewing at the Civic Center in Bismarck. It was a lot of fun to see so many of the people I met as customers over the years when I used to work at J&R. This time I went as a customer. It was nice to be on the other side of the fence this time. No prep work ahead of time, no set-up, packing up and cleaning up afterward either. It was fun to go as a customer, chat with so many friends I haven't seen in so long and just be part of the audience for a change. There were some attending the event who didn't realize I was no longer working for J&R so I surprised a few with that info. Apparently there are a lot of phone calls and drop-in cutomers still asking for me at the store. Nice to know I'm missed. It still seems funny to go to events like this as a non-employee - but it's fun to go with no responsibilities for putting on the event.

We got to see all kinds of embroidery samples made up that showcase the embroidery designs, we sewed out some sample projects ourselves, got lunch, chocolates, free embroidery designs to take home, and a free gift of our choice of either an embroidery thread package or a set of scissors as a gift for attending. All-in-all it was a fun day of visiting and taking in all that eye-candy, seeing so many embroidery samples. It would have been even more fun to have won the $1000 Anita Goodesign shopping spree, but alas, I was not that winner. You better believe the gal who did win was pretty excited about it!

I have decided the next embroidery quilt project I start will be a quilt made from their Vintage Autumn Sampler design CD. I had this embroidery package waiting for me at home already. The leaf block you see pictured here is from that design CD. It is one of the projects we embroidered on Saturday at the event. Obviously embroidering a quilt is a really fast way to get it quilted and put together. Just layer your batting between two pieces of fabric, hoop it up and embroider the design. Then trim up the blocks to size with your rotary cutter and stitch them together. You can stitch them neatly with all finished edges or you can do it the quick method leaving raggedy edges exposed like those quick and easy rag quilts.

I have not sewn out any of the designs from this embroidery collection yet. Seeing them in person with the beautifully digitized designs is good incentive to get to working on them for myself. When I got home on Saturday I gathered together all my Anita Goodesign embroidery designs and made up an inventory of the ones I had on hand. I brought my list along with me to the event, but knew it wasn't quite complete. There were several I had purchased that weren't on my list. Now the list is done so I don't mistakenly purchase the same designs twice. It helps to stay organized that way.

I was going to get the embroidery designs transferred to use on my machines this weekend, but didn't get that far. I kind of took a turn for the worse feeling under the weather a bit today. It actually started last night after I got home - feeling nauseous, irritable and out of sorts. By the time I woke up I was feeling pretty rotten. I stayed in bed to sleep longer today, ate light since my tummy started to revolt on me last night with a very disagreeable response to anything I started to eat. Even after I got up for awhile today I went back to bed and took a nap this afternoon for awhile. Things are a bit better now. I have been drinking pink grapefruit juice (for the vitamin C), hot tea and eating crackers and plain old rice rather than anything I'd normally eat any other day. Just keeping things kind of bland to let my tummy take a break. I hate being sick.

One good thing about taking it easy today was the opportunity I had to just sit back and look at magazines in bed for a change. I got caught up on some recently acquired ones - so more eye candy as I read about various scrapbooking and art related news. That was alright - so there is a silver lining behind the 'being sick' cloud.

Okay, I'm off to bed again now. And again my days and nights are all mixed up what with sleeping extra today. Will have to try to get that straightened out again to a more normal waking and sleeping schedule this week.

Oh, almost forgot . . . At the event Chris mentioned to go to the Anita Goodesign website. Take part in their quick survey to qualify to download some free embroidery designs. Then enter their contest using the designs. Have fun! The crazy patch quilt design is another one of the designs we got to do at the event. What fun to get them free!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your comments and ideas. Please leave a comment below.