Sunday, September 6, 2009

A Yummy Long Weekend

Chicken BadgesThese chicken badges are another embroidery item I have been working on to keep my machine running. They are for a little project I've been slow to complete. I need to make a few more for my project. I might post more about that sometime later. For now I'm just trying to wrap up a few unfinished projects.

It has been a great weekend so far. On Saturday we attended a wedding for a young couple who moved into a house down the street from us. It was a very nice wedding for a really nice young couple. Today has been quiet. I've been working on digitizing some embroidery designs, tending to blogs and working on my website. The U.S. Open is playing so the TV has been tuned to that channel off and on throughout the weekend. I've currently got the Hallmark channel showing the Little House on the Prairie Marathon while I type.

Earlier today I made quick bread. Yep . . . you know me, the one who doesn't like to follow instructions exactly . . . I veered off and changed the recipe. Here's the banana bread recipe after I changed it to make a very yummy . . . ta-da!

Almond Banana Raisin Bread
1 stick margarine (I used Parkay, softened in microwave for approx. 15-20 seconds)
3/4 cup sugar
2 large eggs
3 bananas, mashed (they were just starting to get brown spots)
a generous squirt of Minute Maid Lemon juice (from the squeeze bottle while mashing bananas so they don't turn brown) - this was probably approx. 1 tblspn's worth
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 cup quick rolled oats (the instant kind, dry measure)
1/2 cup sliced almonds
1/2 to 3/4 cup raisins (I just poured a sufficient amount into the bowl)

Generously grease a loaf pan, set aside. Mix all ingredients together. Pour into loaf pan. Bake at 350 degrees approx. 50-55 minutes till toothpick inserted comes out clean.

This turns out to be a very tasty fruit/nut bread that is lower in sugar than the typical banana breads. Since we like to cut back on the sugar it would probably taste just fine with only a 1/2 cup of sugar, especially considering all the sweetness of the bananas and raisins. It's yummy, moist and filling. Spread a little butter on a slice once it has cooled off a bit then go ahead and sink your teeth into it. Yum!

1 comment:

  1. Now you have my curiosity peaked. I thought your roosters were coasters. LOL Your banana bread sounds yummy. Sounds like we cook alike. I find recipes I want to make all the time and I usually follow it as written the first time, but alter it to my tastes the next round. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your comments and ideas. Please leave a comment below.