Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Thread Catchers & Snippet Baskets

Straight-on view of thread catcher I sewed last weekend.Last weekend I worked on a bit of sewing, among other things. I made two of these thread catchers from Susan E. McConnell's website: Hanging On by a Needle and Thread. She gave instructions to make a Selvage Snippet Basket. I chose to make mine with scrappy fabric strips I had laying around as left-overs from cutting 2 1/2" jelly roll strips. The strips I used would have been trash worthy because they are so thin. I usually don't keep anything less than one or one and a half inches wide. But I downloaded her pattern at the end of August and thought they would make a good substitute.

Angled view of the same thread catcher shows top stitching around perimeter.Everything I used on my thread catchers were scraps and recycled stuff from my studio. I have lots of old buttons in my stash to use as well as fabrics, threads, batting, etc. It doesn't take much to put one of these little baskets together. They are fairly fast depending upon how decorative you care to make them.

Another thread catcher without top stitching.They are each made with paisley fabric liners. But each is a different paisley with different colors. The second basket pictured was actually the first one I made. You'll notice I chose to top-stitch around the perimeter of the top basket. After making the first one I felt this would assist in keeping the edges from rolling. The other option I was considering was quilting the layers prior to sewing the basket sides. Since I wanted to keep them as simply made as possible I just went with the top-stitching. If I were to make more I would try some quilting to see how they looked that way. This 10" square area would have only needed a tiny bit of quilting so that would go fast. Maybe next time.

Another angle of this thread catcher, both have paisley lining the interiors of the containers.I chose four matching buttons for these two baskets. I think mis-matched buttons would look great and give it more of a scrappy look. I've seen a number of different ways to attach buttons for a more decorative look. Especially if you want a more decorative look with the buttons. You could attach them like crazy quilters sometimes do with extra decorative touches around the buttons. There are lots of possibilities to make these basket look more original and unique. These would also be cute with machine embroidery on the flaps or centered in the interior of the basket. It's a neat pattern for a great little basket. Give it a try.

I've been thinking about what to do with my little baskets. I already have a thread catcher by my embroidery machines. I thing one of these will go near the machine I have set up for regular, plain old stitching. I like to save snippets of thread for use in a future project. They look interesting when couched down as a decorative technique. I may use the other basket near my computer on my desk to hold memo pads, paper clips and other miscellaneous objects. They make great little organizing baskets for these kinds of small objects that get easily scattered.

I was just thinking the size of the 10" square could be altered to create a variety of different sized boxes. They would have to remain relatively small to hold their shape well unless some other stiffener was used inside instead of the quilt batting. The tim-tex and decor-bond type materials come to mind as stiffer substitutes for a slightly larger basket. Even left-over pieces of stiff interfacing could be used to help them hold their shape. Just a thought.

1 comment:

  1. Your baskets turned out great, Doreen! I like your idea of using tim-tex for a larger version...they would make great bread baskets!

    (Also, thank you for the email and I'll just say a big AMEN!)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your comments and ideas. Please leave a comment below.