Tuesday, August 11, 2009

First the Movie, Then the Book

A new book release: Julie & Julia. The dual true stories of Julia Child and Julie Powell.I ran some errands today and while I was out I stopped at a favorite local bookstore. This book, 'Julie & Julia' by Julie Powell, is now out; released in conjunction with the movie. I picked it up to see how closely the movie follows the book. I thought the movie was good, so I am sure I'll enjoy the book. It should make for good, relaxing reading. I guess I'm kind of doing the order of these things backwards. Usually someone reads the book and then goes to see the movie. I did this backwards when 'Devil Wears Prada' came out also. That movie and book didn't really follow each other very closely.

At the bookstore there was an endcap with several other Julia Child books. I picked up a few and glimpsed through them. The thing that holds my interest though is the view from the blogger's side of things. I can remember when Julia Child was on television when I was young. She seemed so goofy to me, with an odd sense of humor, always seemed to be spilling something, tossing salt and spices over her shoulder and food around, and being very laid back in the kitchen. I remember thinking, "Man, I'm glad I don't have to clean up that kitchen." It was different from anything else on television. The Saturday Night Live parody of her that is portrayed in the movie is also something I actually saw when it was broadcast on SNL. It will be interesting to read more about her life in this book. Now to wait for the DVD to come out so I can watch the movie again - and again. I love letting movies play as I sew.

It turned out to be a very warm day - in the 90's. I have not taken the dogs out for their walk yet. Perhaps we'll still do that later as it cools off into the evening. Meanwhile I've got a few more errands to run and then down to the sewing room to work on some projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your comments and ideas. Please leave a comment below.